Oum Ali is a very popular traditional dessert in Egypt. Oum Ali basically stands for “the mother of Ali.” It is an Egyptian bread and butter pudding that is made from butter, puff pastry and lots of cream and nuts. It is an extremely delicious and soft dessert and is usually served with raisins and warm cream.
A bite of oum ali is so soft that it melts on the tongue. Here’s how to make Oum Ali at home and enjoy this traditional Egyptian dessert for yourself.
Making Oum Ali
- 8 sheets of frozen puff pastry
- 6 cups of chopped mixed nuts (hazelnuts, almonds, pistachios)
- 1 cup of desiccated coconut (optional)
- 1 sultana (optional)
- 1-2 cups of white sugar
- 1 -2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons of rosewater (optional)
- 10 cups of milk
- 2 cups of heavy cream (for the delicious and soft creamy effect)
For The Topping
- 600 ml of heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons of cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons of sugar
- Take the puff pastry out of the freezer 2 hours before using them and allow them to defrost fully.
- Center your oven rack and heat the over to 220C.
- Place the puff pastry sheets on a baking sheet and then place them into the oven for 5-10 minutes (you want them to be puffed up and golden brown).
- Take them out of the oven and allow them to cool. This may take some time.
- In a pot add milk, whipped cream powder, sugar, and spices and allow them to come to a gentle a simmer.
- Add the vanilla and cream and take off the heat from a simmer.
- Break the puff pastry into small pieces and place half the amount in a baking dish.
- Sprinkle the nuts and coconut on the puff pastry.
- Top the other half of puff pastry with crumbs
- Slowly add the milk mixture, one ladle at a time to the dish with puff pastry and nuts until the milk fully covers the puff pastry
- Allow the dessert to set for 10 minutes. You’ll notice that the puff pastry absorbs some of the milk. Add milk again until it covers the puff pastry
- Bake on the center rack for 15 minutes at 220 C.
- Place under the broiler for a couple of minutes to get a golden-colored top.
- Serve this wonderful dessert and enjoy the delightful taste.
- Egyptians make many delicious desserts but this bread pudding oum ali is number one. The creamy, crispy, soft, smooth and warm taste of this pudding is amazing. Enjoy your dessert as you bless yourself with the grace of Ali’s mother!